On 9/14/12, we went to a running store called RoadRunner on a field trip to learn about dehydration, hydration, and hydration monitors. We met Paolina and Kasey. First, we introduced our team and told them about the FLL program and Challenge. We demonstrated Taskbot robot and showed the experts the “Self Park,” “Maze,” and “Ultrasonic” challenges.
We asked the experts the interview questions we brainstormed the meeting before. They had excellent answers. We learned several important facts such as the following:
- Dehydration symptoms include dizziness, confusion, headache, dark urine, weight loss from sweating, and increase in heart rate and body temperature.
- Gatorade is not the same as water. It has a lot of sugar in it.
- Water is the best liquid to drink for hydration.
- Everyone has different hydration needs. It is based on your activity and weight.
- You can be dehydrated or over hydrated. Both conditions are not good for the body.
- Dehydration is a big problem in hot weather because when you sweat you loose water and you may not always remember to replace the water that you lost. Also it is hard to judge the right amount you need.
- People might not be thirsty but can still be dehydrated.
- The store sells Hydra Guard, a hydration monitor bottle. The bottle electronically measures how much water you drink from the bottle and tells you how much you need to drink for your body weight, but you need the bottle and drink from it to get that measurement.
Finally, we think the experience was terrific and educational, and we hope to go there again. It was so much fun! Thank you, Carlsbad RoadRunner, for an awesome educational field trip!